Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rainbow Cake




I hope everyone had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day weekend filled with lots of green!!!

My husband turned 26 over the weekend!  March 18th he was almost a St. Patty's Day baby!  To celebrate we went to the NCAA tournament to watch his Tar Heels play.  They won and we had so much fun!  Since we were at the tournament all day Sunday I decided to do his birthday cake on Saturday.  Every year I bake a strawberry cake for him strawberries are his favorite.  This year I wanted to change it up a little bit and with it being St. Patty's day I went with a rainbow cake!  I found a recipe on Martha Stewart that gave me inspiration to do a semi-homemade version. 

Here's Martha's:








Martha Stewart Rainbow Cake

My version turned out very tasty and just as bright.  My icing needs work to be that smooth but hey I'll get there!





So I started out with two boxes of Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix.  Mix following directions on back of the cake box.  Then separate mix into six different bowls.  Add your food coloring to the bowls of batter and mix well.  Feel fee to be liberal when adding your food coloring.  You want the colors to be bright!  I found that gel coloring works better. 




Next fill your six pans, I used disposable ones so I wouldn't have to wash and reuse my cake pans, but if you have six cake pans or want to wash and reuse feel free.  Then bake according to the directions on the cake boxes.




Once out of the oven let cakes cool completely before layering and icing.  When the cakes are cool you will layer starting with your red cake and working your way to the purple cake.  In between each layer you will want to spread about 1/2 cup of frosting.  This way you can see the separation between layers.  I used a cream cheese frosting.  My favorite!



After all of your layers are on spread the frosting over the outside of the cake.  Then decorate!!  I used jelly beans since it is almost Easter and of course they followed the St. Patty's Day rainbow theme.



What a beautiful cake!!  The colors will amaze when you cut into it!  And the hubby loved it!!! :)


Hope y'all have fun making your rainbow cake!  Just make sure to share it with someone special!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment